Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kurly Confessions 1.18.2011- My Hairstory

So I'll start with my story. I had my last relaxer December 2009, right before Christmas. In February 2000 I learned I was expecting and decided to not process my hair and got on a big health kick during my pregnancy. I maintained with rollersets and wraps. It was no biggie my curls had always been rebellious,and I was accustomed to straightening my hair even with a relaxer my hair never got bone straight.

Guess I'll go back further. I remember elementary and middle school I went to a predominantly white school so me and my pigtails weren't cool to me :) Most of the other black girls were starting to get relaxers and rocking their straight hair but my parents weren't having it! Finally I think it was in high school my freshman year when I finally got my first relaxer, Bantu! LOL administered by my father, I know scary right LOL. I'd always had pretty long hair past my shoulders. But I don't remember getting much length after that. I cut my hair into a mushroom, because it was cool LOL. and when I went to college my freshman year circa 1995), valentines day. I had the stylist chop it all off! Halle Berry/ Toni Braxton style! When it grew back I started bleaching (1996) it kept it cut in a bob. Then back to our regularly scheduled program....

The year 2000 I straightened, rollerset, wrapped my hair... I had Taylor November 2000 and figured there was no point in relaxing again. It was just as easy to continue with my routine. I did start back coloring my hair though.


December 2010

Enter February 2009 I decided to give my hair a break from the straightening and got my first sew in. I was sooooooo excited "my" hair was long again and bone straight LOL. I cycled through sew ins they lasted about 6-8 weeks in between I would condition and get a blowout let it rest for about 2-3 weeks then put the sew in back in. This summer I wanted to rock my curls and they were really wimpy :( so I went and got a blow out and got ALOT of heat damage and breakage.I got another sew in figured I'd braid it up for a while and went on my 'heat vacation' in October when I took that last sew in out. I have been doing wash n gos, plopping, twist outs, braidouts... December I checked my length so I could start to track my progress.

January 2011
In January as I made my Resolutions I decided it was time to start fresh and eliminate the 'dead weight' so to speak (I lost about 1-1 1/2 inch). I picked up my shears and clipped my straight scraggly ends and did a fresh length check. So here we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment