Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Transitioning to Natural Hair without a 'Big Chop'

I have a couple of really good friends I've been kind of 'coaching'  on their natural hair journey. Natalie transitioned for the last several months and just recently did her big chop. Her hair is growing beautifully. Our hair texture and porosity are pretty similar so I have been able to share alot of information with her.  My line sister has been in talks about how natural just isn't for her for a while but for years she has vocally yearned for the natural look. She's tried straw sets and rod sets but not able to get the look she really wanted. She continued to protest trying it to see if she could do it. I attribute it to nerves. In the last couple of days as we have spoken she has decided to hold off on getting a relaxer. She said she would hold off until the end of the year and make a decision. I believe her last relaxer was about a month ago. What I do know is that she is absolutely not going to do a big chop, at least not at this stage of the game. So I am coaching her through this transitioning phase

As I've stated previously when I went 'natural' there was no formal process no support system no special 'natural hair' products. It just was what it was. that was a little over 10 years ago. My last relaxer was around Christmas 1999. I learned that I was expecting in February of 2000 and decided to go 'chemical free' as a precaution during my pregnancy. In essence I guess I was transitioning. I maintained by doing rollersets and straightening my hair. I really don't remember the flat iron being quite so common then. I had an electric straightening comb and a stove top comb. I kept my hair trimmed regularly. I had to since I was using so much heat with the hot comb and later flat iron. I am not quite sure at what point the relaxer was completely gone but I was getting about an inch trimmed about every 6 weeks.

In the last 3 years as education about natural hair had become more readily available I have been able to better educate myself on how to care for my hair. Also the availability of products for natural hair has helped as well. So for all of you long term transitioners,  you can do it with committment and patience.

  1. begin to switch your regimine to include 'natural' products (avoid products with sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, petrolatum in them)
  2. try not to shampoo your hair too often  (use a sulfate free shampoo. The greatest problem with natural hair is dryness. Because of the harsh nature of sulfates- like detergent- they strip the natural moisture from our hair)
  3. keep your ends trimmed regularly I would recommend trimming an inch every 4-6 weeks until the relaxed hair is gone.
  4. use protective styling/ styling options that allow for less manipulation, strain and heat on your natural/ transitioning hair (Braids, twists, sew ins, rollersets)
It won't be easy but I promise you hair will thank you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment