Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Is Makeup and Natural Hair an oxymoron?

Is it Contradictory to have Natural Hair and still wear makeup? 
I came across this debate on Facebook today and have had conversations about this with some other naturals.

Some people make the decision to go natural and decide that they want to alter their entire being in that aspect. They decide to go natural with what they put in and on their body. Only eat certain types of foods, don't wear makeup, etc, and thats okay. Then there are others who have embraced their natural hair status but still appreciate those little things that we as women occaisionally like indulge in to pamper ourselves, and thats okay too. For me, being natural doesn't define who I am as a person, it is merely a decision I have made about my hair. I have accepted my hair the way it is and love it. As much as I love my hair I also love makeup.  I love the things you can do with it artistically I love putting it on woman and making her smile at herself in the mirror just because I put a little gloss or mascara on her. I look inside her and help her to bring that to the surface, and there is nothing wrong with that either. 

You are a woman, natural or not, and if putting on some lipgloss or some lashes makes you feel good about yourself do it. People go natural for different reasons. There are some people who have decided to go natural for whatever reason and aren't totally comfortable with it. I know people who have big chopped and don't feel feminine because they've always had long hair. Well your hair isn't what makes you a woman. So do what makes you feel good about you. Put on some makeup if you want to, polish your nails, throw on some banging jewelry. For some of us this natural hair journey is about embracing our hair and not conforming and chemically altering it to please other people. The consistent message here is to do what makes you happy not other people. If putting on makeup makes you happy, do it. There is no wrong or right.

No comments:

Post a Comment