Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Corporate & Curly- an oxymoron?

This seems to be a recurring subject for me I spoke about it before as a response to a Vlog posted by
CurlyCrazyfulLeah on youtube about Natural Hair and the perception of Professionalism. I work in corporate America and have forever. I have been natural the whole time, always flat ironing/ straightening my hair, pulling it back into a bun or ponytail to keep it "professional" and conservative because I was afraid of how I would be perceived in Corporate America and that I would not be taken seriously.

In this last year as I have 'gone curly' I have begun to embrace my curls 24/7 including in Corporate America. I've found that its not Corporate America/ White America that has placed judgement on me for my hair. In fact its been quite the opposite. I receive compliments consistently on my hair the love my curls. What I fail to understand is why it is so difficult for the black community to embrace our natural hair, not saying that everyone should go natural. What I am saying is that I have been judged more by my own people than by any other people. My own father constantly asks when are you going to comb your hair? Do you think that looks professional?.... The remarks continue week after week. What I have learned to do is to just laugh to myself at the ignorance of some people, whip my hair and walk away! :)

I find that with work I am more conservative with styling my hair and experiment more on the weekend which I would do even if I were wearing my hair straight honestly. Attending Fro Fashionweek in Atlanta last week I saw such beautiful styles with twists and braids I was inspired to come home and do some protective styling of my own. I twisted my hair in two strand twists and have been rocking them all week, getting lots and lots of compliments along the way. So this week I am "totally twisted". I'll be posting my Totally Twisted Corporate Friendly Protective style at http://www.youtube.com/kurlygirl08

No comments:

Post a Comment